Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Alternator Altercations

I replaced the voltage regulator(pics of old one to come) on the alternator with a used one today. I also cleaned the electrical contacts on the alternator, including the slip rings and contact points for the voltage regulator. I noticed that a wire on a terminal on the alternator had broken. Could this be my issue? Alas, no. It was signal wire for the tachometer. Yes, the tachometer signal comes from the alternator, a good reason why you need the diesel 55A alternator and can't put one from a gasser Volvo in it. Anyway, after reconnecting the tach wire, the tach signal is still in and out. This, coupled with the fact that the alternator is still not charging with a known good used regulator, would point to a bad alternator :( In addition, the alternator has the original Volvo sticker on it, a sign that it it is probably original and has never been rebuilt. Looks like I'm in the market for a rebuilt alternator...

Jerry, I have not had any issues with this. The pulley you mention, is it the crank pulley or the sheeve (attached to the alternator) send a picture? I am a little bit confused by what you mean.

3 Comments:

Blogger VeggieDreaming said...

I recently replaced my altenator and have noticed an issue with the belt pulley. It is rubbing up against the upper bolt that is holding the alternator in place. I have tried adjusting the alternator with no luck.

I've broken two belts already. Have you had any issues like this?

Thanks

Jerry (veggievolvo)

Ps. Enjoying the posts you are doing. I'll send you links to the AF transmission swap I'm doing.

10:45 AM  
Blogger VeggieDreaming said...

Well figured out where I was going wrong with my alternator belt. I was looping it up it over an xtra pulley. After getting my hands on a Volvo manual I saw my mistake. Live and Learn!

2:42 PM  
Blogger VeggieDreaming said...

Well figured out where I was going wrong with my alternator belt. I was looping it up it over an xtra pulley. After getting my hands on a Volvo manual I saw my mistake. Live and Learn!

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home