Friday, February 16, 2007

SoDak Update

"SoDak was hydro locked when I tried to start it, so it seemed obvious that I was going to have to do something with the head gasket. Then I decided to check the head bolts for tightness. They were loose, but also felt crunchy when turning. After tweaking them, the leak stopped. So I decided to pull them out and clean up the threads in the block and properly tighten them. Well, this only worked for the first one. The second one came out all corroded and badly necked.I am still considering jumping into a valve job--I really should. But at this point, I think I will just put in new bolts, clean the threads, and see what happens. It is considerably more work to do a valve job, so I hope to avoid that for now. I will let you know how it goes"


Thursday, February 15, 2007

Don't Worry!

OK, don't worry about the BLOG going anywhere. Part of the deal with my friend STEW is that he would keep up the BLOG. It won't go anywhere and it will still be updated, and this time by a professional mechanic, not some schmuck wanna-be like me :)

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

SOLD! To the Highest Bidder

Today I sold SoDak to my good friend Stew. He will fix the headgasket and we'll see what the future holds. I decided that, with my wife working now, and me working, that I could only afford one project car. That one car would be our 1978 VW Westfalia that needs an engine rebuild an a transmission rebuild. Our plan is to hit the road in the bus in 3 years from now. My wife can bike to work so we only need one car, our VW Bora (Jetta). As sad as I am to see her go, SoDak is going to a very good home.