Saturday, August 13, 2005

Cold Start Device


Now that the cam timing and injection pump timing are spot on, it was time to figure out why the car started so horribly cold(lots of white/blue smoke).

One obvious issue was that the coolant-regulated cold start device was non-functional. It is designed to advance the injection pump timing for cold starts. I called up Bosch and they put me in touch with a dealer that could order the part for me. From the swedishbricks.net FAQ, 1-467-202-302 is the correct part number. It cost me about $50.

To replace the innards of the cold start device you will need a vise, small needle-nose vise-grip, 4mm allen, a hammer and a punch. When you disassemble the device you will quickly notice that it is unde a LOT of spring pressure.

The punch is used to get the wax thermostat out of its housing. Here is a picture of my old one cut in half(above). It has a rubber boot that goes around a sliding rod. I have no idea how this thing works, but I like to take things apart.

When you get the thermostat in the front housing(the one with the coolant ports), take the rear housing with all its springs, cable, etc. and compress it in a vise. The cable should come out the back exposing the stainless steel shaft that the cable is crimped into. Put the needle-nose vise-grips on the shaft so that whe you release the vise, the springs stay compressed. Install with the two 5mm allen bolts and then remove the vise-grips.

I recommend soldering the cable end. It will keep the cable from fraying, which mine is doing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi. Thanks for the information you have made available here. It realy has helped me a lot. I am currently trying to find a wax termostat here in Denmark. The first Volvo spareparts dealer I contacted told me that I have to buy a hole new pump. Othervice I think I will just disconnect the system and rely on the glow plugs for cold starting.

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home