Saturday, August 13, 2005

Cam timing and compression

The out-of-sync cam timing in my previous post also caused me to get low compression readings as you will read below. Compression testing this motor is quite an ordeal. Before you compression test, adjust your valve clearances. First, you need to remove the injector lines with a 17mm line wrench, carefully labeling which goes where. Second, you need a deep-well 27mm socket with thin walls. I also found it necessary to use a serpentine belt tool(picture at left) to remove injector #5. The extremely low profile of the 1/2" drive part of the tool(at upper left in the picture) allowed me to squeeze between the injector and the injection pump. I recommend the Craftsman as it was the least expensive tool I found. Be sure to blow out all of the sand/dirt/etc. from around the injectors as you remove them. Once I had the injectors out, I removed the heat shields with a large screw. I threaded the screw into the hole in the heat shield and used a slide hammer to pull out the shield.

I found it very difficult to find a diesel compression gauge (onethat reads up to 500 psi) at local auto parts stores. You also need the adapter for injector hole (see pic at right) This adaptor is the same as the VW one.

I bought my compression tester off Ebay from http://www.tooldesk.com/ It came with the adapter. The brand is ATD. This gauge is garbage. Mine didn't work right out of the bag. Wouldn't hold pressure. Good old "Made in the USA" Quality :/ Do yourself a favor and buy a good quality gauge.

My compression readings (with bad cam timing) were 400 psi for cylinders 1-4 and 360 psi for cylinders 5 and 6. This is fitting with the general consensus that cylinders 5 and 6 can become starved of oil under certain conditions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home